koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] RE: [oss4lib-discuss] MARC -> RDBMS

From: Tonnesen Steve
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] RE: [oss4lib-discuss] MARC -> RDBMS
Date: Wed Dec 11 13:37:05 2002

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Pat Eyler wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Brian Cassidy wrote:
>
> > Hello again,
> >
> > Thanks to everyone for their quick replies! Here's what I've done since
> > yesterday:
> >
> > I looked into the 'Koha' library software. It looks interesting, but the
> > line "It is currently possible to import MARC records, one at a time."
> > turned me off of it, due to the fact that I have several repositories
> > with thousands of records each.
>
> It sounds like we need to do a better job of documenting something then.
> THere are a couple of flavors of bulk-importing scripts at this point.
> Other flavors can be derived from the existing scripts at need.  (It's all
> a smop, right?)

Just for the record.  I have done several bulk marc imports into Koha.
The largest one involved 2,000,000 items.  I did some heavy optimizations
of the bulk marc importing script for that one.  In the end the import
took about 4.5 hours on a 1GHz machine with 512MB of ram.

I also have a couple of libraries that use a proprietary package for
cataloguing and only use Koha as an OPAC interface.  These school
libraries regularly export all of their data in MARC format and update the
Koha database with it.

Steve Tonnesen
address@hidden
Network Technician