koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Deleting MARC items

From: Owen Leonard
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Deleting MARC items
Date: Tue Jun 3 07:07:15 2003

> >Is there a way to delete items from a MARC
> biblio record besides going into
> >MySQL and doing it by hand?

> that's a good question : should we enable
> biblio/items deletion. I think
> that no : if an item has to be "deleted", just
> mark it as "unborrowable", but remember we had it some times
> ago.

I'm very confused now.  Is the 'deletedbiblioitems' table used?  And what about
the 'withdrawn' status in the 'items' table? How is that used?

My concern about marking items as 'deleted' and 'unborrowable' is that it would
fill up the database with entries that would need to be ignored in most
searches.

> If yes : I think it's a very uncommon operation
> that should be hidden in
> the "parameter" part of Koha. If we delete a
> biblio/item, should we
> delete all borrowing informations too?

It's very common for us to delete items.  We weed our collections regularly.
Items with shorter lifespans like paperback romances get deleted fairly
frequently.  Some mechanism needs to be available to librarians for getting
them out of the publicly-searched pool of items.

  -- Owen