koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] How we can input a very large field

From: Andrés Tarallo
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] How we can input a very large field
Date: Thu May 26 04:37:27 2005

We have worked out the solution described in my previous mail. It's not the best, and it's not tested in deep. I like your proposal. I will study it with Ernesto Silva here in ORT and see if we can implement it.

Andres

Paul POULAIN wrote:

Andrés Tarallo a écrit :

We are making some fixes into our production instalation. We noticed that the input field in cataloging only allows 255 characters and is an input field. We have currently resume fields that are much larger than that (about 3000 characters).

We re trying to develop a way to make our templates aware of the fact that a field is large enough to be better input in a text field insted of an input field. We want to develop something more generic.

An idea we have: having in the system preferences a list of fields that may contain large values. When we're about displaying an input field we should take into account the systems preferences.

We will accept your fedback, we hope we can contribute this back to the CVS.

In the last version (2.2.2b) the limit of 255 chars has been removed.
PLUS : when a field is more than 200 chars, the next time the biblio is edited, it's shown as a textarea. automatically.

I agree it's not a perfect solution for the 1st edition.

I can do something else, but it's a dirty hack imho : if there is [textarea] in subfield name (like "010$a : ISBN [textarea]"), then I could remove [textarea] and use a textarea input even on an empty record.

The best solution being, imho, to add another constraint in marc_subfield_structure, that would be the size (length & height) of the field.
If height=1, then it's an input. if >1, then it's a textarea.
The length being usefule whatever height is (it's stupid to have isbn=255 char. 10 (13 soon) would be enough)

This requires some (minor) changes in the DB, so i won't do it in 2.2 branch. But if it sounds interesting, I could add this to 2.4 features.