koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Minutes of Website/Interface Design Meeting 2005-05-26

From: Joshua Ferraro
Subject: [Koha-devel] Minutes of Website/Interface Design Meeting 2005-05-26
Date: Thu May 26 14:37:24 2005

Present at various times:
NZ: rach, russ, irma
GB: shaun and ben
US: owen and kados
ID: indradg

1/. koha.org Website

        a. Review of Russ's site map and ideas about _what_ koha.org is:
                1. it's a place that appeals to those in libraries making
                        decisions about library systems
                2. it's a resource for developers

        b. we're going to put case studies up (DIY case studies like
            NPL as well as 'supported' case studies from software
            support  providers: we'll have a framework for
            easily adding more case studies

        c. addressed tension between the koha.org site and the sites
             of companies who offer services around koha; we need to
             keep koha.org as vendor neutral as possible to attract
             more vendors

        d. "Showcase" section of koha.org will include links to
             'official koha demos' as well as vendor demos (to showcase
              what vendor support can produce)

        e. We're going to have an official blog but for now we'll just
             aggrogate existing developer blogs from the homepage

        f. add links to presentations folks have done on Koha; as well
             as upcoming events where Koha will be showcased and
             links to arguments _for_ open source in libraries

        g. design process: rach and russ will rework the site map
             based on our meeting and will make some wireframes
             they will also. russ and shaun will get a 'content
             delivery schedule to divvy up the jobs. shaun will
             continue to work on his design. (Added later) Irma
             will proofread and do QA on the website.

2/. Koha Interfaces
        a. we will break up templates into 'programmer templates and
            'official koha templates'

        b. programmer templates are just stripped-down templates for
           testing/demonstrating functionality

        c. 'official koha templates' are crafted using design principles:
            beauty, usability, standards compliance, accessibility (PDA,
            screen readers, etc.), color coordination, graphical appeal,
            etc.

        d. NPL templates will be used as design models, but default
            templates will be redesigned.

        e. there was some brief discussion of using kea for template
            design

3/. Roles
        a. rach and owen will be Interface Designers, rach will focus on
            design (graphically) and owen will do the coding; shaun
            and ben will work on an alternate set of templates and will
            contribute some improvements in wording, etc.

        b. LibLime can provide hosting for a staging server where the
             process can be observed

        c. Irma will do proofing and QA

Complete log at:
http://koha.org/cgi-bin/logs.pl?recall=recall&saved_query=Website%20Interface%20Design%20First%20Meeting

--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
LibLime                  Koha ILS, Mambo Intranet, DiscrimiNet Filter