koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Acquisitions Group Meeting

From: Rachel Hamilton-Williams
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Acquisitions Group Meeting
Date: Sun Jul 31 21:27:21 2005

Hi

I spoke with HDL today on IRC about Koha's Acquisitions. There are a
few concerns:

Short-term:

1. Koha's current Acquisitions modules appear to be broken (HDL can
        expand on this)

Yep they are - we've fixed them for ourselves. The templates we've done though are skewed towards runing with MARC off, and they are still being tested by the library. If ok by Owen I'll see if we can get them zipped up and sent off to him so that he can see what we've done in acquisitions and ignore anything else he doesn't like the look of :-)

2. Koha's simple acquisitions is too simple (does not include budget
        management for instance)

But is the normal acquisitions too complicated?

I'd be resistant to just adding more "stuff" to simple acquisitions - I'd prefer to see either just more "template" options which have more fields on them, or to have any additional complexity be an option.

So if you don't use book budgets, you shouldn't get the fields for it etc.

You can use Normal acquisitions without doing the ordering & receiveing part - so all in one action.

Long-term:

3. Koha should support standards for Acquisitions like EDI, WDDL,
        SOAP or Web Services.

I propose that we discuss fixing Koha's current solutions for the
2.2.x series and also discuss the long-term solution that we hope will
be in 3.0 if we can find a sponsor for the development.

So who has a vested interest in Koha's Acquisitions asside from HDL
and myself? What ideas do you have?

We have a vested interest - as our clients use both simple and normal acquisitions. After chatting on IRC I think the climate for acquisitions here and overseas may be differnet, but it would be worth checking with Rosalie how interested in additional acquisition options they might be.

Cheers
Rachel

--
Rachel Hamilton-Williams