koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Information on arabic and Unicode on Koha

From: Joshua Ferraro
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Information on arabic and Unicode on Koha
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 05:46:04 -0800

Hi Armelle,

Koha fully supports UTF-8. It is possible to use Arabic
language characters in records ... see:

http://opac.liblime.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?bib=23750

It's also possible to have Arabic branch names / patron names,
etc:

http://opac.liblime.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl
(see the 'location' drop-down box).

However, as I understand it, Arabic is a highly inflected
language and unlike English, there are cases where the
articles (in English a, an, the) are combined with the
base of the word. A good Arabic search engine would need
to parse words like that, remove the inflected forms, and
find records that have the same word bases. Of course, I'm
drastically oversimplifying the process :-).

That said, the current 2.2 serias of Koha cannot handle
that kind of search complexity without a serious investment in
programming resources. This will get considerably easier in
the 3.x series of Koha when we begin using Zebra. With Zebra,
you can define that kind of indexing behavior in a simple
configuration file, which will greatly reduce the difficulty
of implementation.

Another component that must be considered when dealing with
the Arabic language is the right-to-left preference. I'm
guessing that our templates would need to be re-vamped to
accomodate that reading style.

So ... I hope all of this is making sense. I'm not an Arabic
speaker (though I do have a background in linguistics), so
if you know of other considerations, or if I've misrepresented
the language's requirements, please let me know.

Sincerely,

--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
address@hidden |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS