koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] new database update mecanism

From: Pierrick LE GALL
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] new database update mecanism
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:34:10 +0200

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:29:37 +0000
MJ Ray <address@hidden> wrote:

> Pierrick LE GALL <address@hidden>
> > - isolated updates that can be executed only once
> > - database self aware about its update level
> > - notification in intranet screen that new updates are available
>
> I think this is a good idea. Here are some more suggestions:
> 1. model the updates on sysV init scripts, so they can be started
> and stopped/applied and removed as needed by an upgrade;

It seems far more complicated than what I thought first. sysV init
scripts are started at each server start/stop. Updates I propose are
executed only once. If anything failed during updating, manual
intervention will be required such as:

- SQL> delete from update where update_id = 13;

- manually edit "update 13" or ask developer to modify according to your
  problem

- run once again the updater

> 2. the new updates notification should require deliberate action
> by the superlibrarian, else we may be violating user's privacy
> (also known as a "phone home" problem).

As I imagined it, update mechanism will be usefull among developers and
after a minor upgrade (between 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 for example). In this
condition, I really don't think developers and upgraders will feel
their privacy has been violated by Koha update notifier, does it?

> > Update files will be Perl files in the update/updates dedicated
> > directory, with numeric only filenames:
>
> Can't they just start or end with a number, divided from the
> human-friendly name by a - or similar? It really is useful
> to have human-friendly names.

You mean examples like that?

- updates/12-isbn_on_13_chars.update
- updates/23-deletion_of_marc_tables.update

No problem for me to allow any filename as long as it starts with an
identification number.

> Take a look at dpatch if you have a debian system nearby.
> http://alioth.debian.org/projects/dpatch/ - I'm sure there's
> been criticism of it, but I didn't locate it in a web search.

I've tried to find information but I didn't (dpatch website is very
poor). Anyway, I'm not sure we have the same problem to solve than
Debian packages. Maybe I missed something.

Thanks for your feedback

--
Pierrick LE GALL
INEO media system