koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Debian Packaging

From: Geoff Crompton
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Debian Packaging
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:58:54 +1000

Alex King wrote:
OK,

I'm just posting a quick update regarding Debian packaging.

Let's keep all the discussion on address@hidden for now, I think it is appropriate at this early stage. Please subscribe there if you aren't yet. If we get too noisy for that list, we can move to another list when needed.

I'm on the list now.

I think Joshua's idea of pulling 2.2.6 (from CVS?) is probably the right one to start with.

I think we should maintain our own repository. I think it makes sense to keep the Debian packaging stuff somewhere separate from the main code and merge back whatever work makes sense to the main repository. I've always wanted to try out bzr and I've created my own bzr repository of 2.2.5 (not published atm). Meanwhile, Geoff Crompton has submitted an alioth project request. What do people think? I'm happy to use alioth, and happy that Geoff's taken the initiative to organise it. Geoff, what is the status of the project application?

I've submitted the application, but have not yet heard anything back. It's not been 24 hours yet. I'll let you know once I hear.

Meanwhile, MJ Ray has suggested: "

I think there's a package called something
like dpkg-cpan which we should use to package the modules (with names
like libperl-marc-record) and then bend the main koha system to do
an auto-install into debian/tmp."

There is the dh-make-perl program, which can convert a CPAN package into a Debian package, with varying levels of success (though in my experience it is pretty good). I don't know if it is going to make light work of the whole koha system. It might work if Koha contains bundled CPAN packages.

--
Geoff Crompton
Debian System Administrator