koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Item-level hold blocked for checked-out item?

From: Owen Leonard
Subject: [Koha-devel] Item-level hold blocked for checked-out item?
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:17:47 -0500

I noticed a behavior in 3.0 that seems incorrect to me, so I wanted to ask
paul and hdl in particular, since this may be a SAN-OP feature:

If I'm trying to place a hold on a title which has checked-out items
attached to it, I'm blocked from placing an item-level hold on the
checked-out items.

This seems contrary to the idea of holds--why shouldn't I be able to place
the hold and wait until the item is returned for my hold to be fulfilled? A
library at NPL would generally be using item-level holds /only/ for items
which are checked out--because otherwise they could go to the shelf and
find the particular copy they're looking for!

This may be another system pref requirement, but I wanted to ask about the
motivation behind it first.

Thanks,

  Owen