koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Re: [Koha-translate] Koha 3.0 Staff Client Ready for Transl

From: Axel Bojer
Subject: [Koha-devel] Re: [Koha-translate] Koha 3.0 Staff Client Ready for Translation
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 19:07:12 +0100

Joshua Ferraro wrote:
Hi all,

Just a quick announcement for those of you interested in translating Koha
3.0 into your respective languages, the Staff Client POT file is ready for
download and translation. I've created a generic POT that can be used,
simply re-name the file to match your locale using RFC4646 conventions.
Here's the link:

http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=tree;f=misc/translator/po;hb=HEAD

(note that there is already a French translation written) The generic
PO is called 'xx-XX-i-staff-prog-v-30000.pot'.  You'll want to rename that

Ok. I have already started on it. The problem is though that this file contains an not unsignificant amount of french strings in it. It seems to me they (mostly?) are just duplicates of the same strings in English, so mostly I have just ignored them. There are 5658 strings, I don't know how many there are supposed to be though ...

Starting with Koha 3.0, I'd like to propose a new naming convention for the
PO/POT files in Koha that follows RFC4646 (have a look at
http://www.w3.org/International/articles/language-tags/ for an intro). We
can utilize RFC4646's concept of 'extensions' to tag for the 'theme' (t)
and 'interface' (i) and 'version' (v). For example, if you're creating a
French translation in France, the filename would be:

fr-FR-i-staff-t-prog-v-30000.po

Done.
About 1000 strings finished and many fuzzies, still a lot more to do :-P

LocFactory Editor (for OSX)
POEdit (for Windows)

Kbabel is my favorite (although Kaider sonn will be the replacement and probably even better :-)

1. you can email it to the koha-translate list
2. you can email it to me
3. you can add it to Git yourself

:-)

Best regards Axel Bojer