koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] new sysprefs

From: Mason James
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] new sysprefs
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:14:05 +1300

I plan to make a patch later this week to remove these sysprefs.
Please let me know if any of these are in fact in use, represent
pre-2.2.9 features that ought to be ported to 3.0, represent a feature
that someone is willing to code and submit a patch for relatively
soon, or are in use by an existing contrib.  If there are any other
dead sysprefs that should be removed, please post those as well.

In short, most of the sysprefs represent features that should be forward-ported
to 3.0, or we'll have some unhappy Koha users :-). Generally speaking, most of
them require quite trivial additions; some could definitely be re-factored to
be more generally useful.

Hi All,

On a related topic... thats been something ive wanted to improve for a *long* time....

Is it about time that koha-sysprefs area had a better way of grouping related sysprefs together?
(FYI: the old koha.v2  syspref-grouping seems to be missing from Koha3 currently?)

Perhaps a new 'systempreferences_groups' table,  and a new 'group' column added to the existing sysprefs table
could work as a quick-fix solution...

Then a new syspref-group could be easily created by staff or developers, and  new or existing sysprefs could be  easily grouped

mysql> select * from systempreferences where  variable = 'QueryFuzzy'\G
   variable: QueryFuzzy
      value: 1
explanation: If ON, enables fuzzy option for searches
       type: YesNo
   group: zebra_searching    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<   NEW COLUMN?!??!?!?

In Koha.2, the only way to assign a syspref to a group was to edit the sysprefs.pl file
Which was too much effort for most people, and consequently lots of sysprefs were added without being assigned to a group.

Which has historically lead to a few (misunderstood / broken / duplicated)  sysprefs,

Any ideas people?

Cheers, Mason

--
Mason James                                address@hidden