koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Call number handling in 3.0

From: Chris Cormack
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Call number handling in 3.0
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 21:03:57 +1300

On 2/26/08, Joshua Ferraro <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2/25/08, Chris Cormack <address@hidden> wrote:
> Yeah, we cant use these variables in the templates, as what is in them is
> controlled by sysprefs, ie itemcallnumber is going to be empty unless people
> are using item level callnumbers

item-level callnumbers are really the only valid type of callnumber,
since callnumber refers to shelf location and bibs don't have shelf
location. There's a separate concept of 'classification' that can
appear at the bib level, but it's really not used very much in
practice in libraries, other than as a reference point. Shelf browse
lists, etc., are generated from the item-level itemcallnumber, which
should always be populated for every item.

Ahh yes I keep forgetting that we have completely killed the biblioitem level. And are back at 2 tiers.

Chris