Re: LinuxThreads or other alternatives for the Hurd/{Mach,L4}?

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: LinuxThreads or other alternatives for the Hurd/{Mach,L4}?
Date: 22 Jul 2001 23:52:34 +0200

Farid Hajji <address@hidden> writes:

> Even if you don't plan to implement N:M, could you point us to an
> existing implementation or to a description of the underlying theory?
> Implementing multiplexing threading libraries looks quite scary to me
> at the moment (you know, the "black art" aspect...) ;-)

I found the white paper on the Solaris threads implementation
enlightning. Sorry I don't have an exact reference, but it's been
mentioned here in the past. Let me know if you have trouble finding
it, and I'll try some harder to find the URL.

It seemed that the most tricky parts were (i) creating more kernel
threads on demand, to avoid deadlocks, and (ii) to get signal
handling and per thread signal masks right.

Regards,
/Niels