Re: Porting the Hurd to VK (Was: running hurd in linux)

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: Porting the Hurd to VK (Was: running hurd in linux)
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 02:56:50 +0200 (CEST)

> > I think the idea is rather to run Linux with Hurd. For instance you
> > could boot something like a MkLinux single server under gnuMach
> > and connect it to ethernet1, com1, tty1, etc, and then also have a
> > Hurd login on the console.
> Porting GNU/Hurd to run on top of a virtual kernel (VK) would provide
> exactly this kind of advantage. Basically, you'll be able to boot the
> virtual uKernel, either on top of Mach, L4 or even as a server/library
> on top of Unix. Then, you could boot the Hurd on top of this VK.
[snip]
Of course, the other way around as you suggested (MkLinux server on top
of GNUmach besides the Hurd servers) is also possible. One big problem
here is how to coordinate access to Mach devices. This is exactly the
same problem than you face when you run a sub-hurd parallel to the Hurd.
As long as you use different devices, it should be okay, but as soon
as you need to access shared devices, things get hairy. Devices with
likely contention are hd's (even if you use different partitions),
com? and I/O.

Did anyone tried to run
 1. MkLinux on top of GNUmach, possibly parallel to GNU/Hurd?
 2. Lites on top of GNUmach, possibly parallel to GNU/Hurd?
The other way around: Who tried to run
 1. the Hurd on top of real-time Mach (rtmach) from NTT/Keio,
    possibly parallel to Lites?

Hey, while we're at it, anyone interested to write a L4 server
on top of Mach, so that L4Linux can be started? Just wondering... ;-)

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | address@hidden