Re: Hurd on L4 Project

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: Hurd on L4 Project
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 02:02:03 +0200 (CEST)

> Where should code for a Hurd on L4 project be placed? Would these types
> of changes be something for bug-hurd?
IMHO we should setup a separate CVS repository somewhere (sourceforge
comes to mind) and first try to get started. When we get usable code
that could be directly integrated into the main Hurd repository, we
could always merge them in, after the necesasry paperwork has been
exchanged with the FSF. I'm not aware of the required procedures
here. People on bug-hurd could help us here when we are ready. They
are also using sourceforge for preliminary changes that will go into
gnu cvs later.

The reason I'm suggesting this approach is, that I'd recommend to
build the basic (L4) infrastructure from scratch first, like pager,
driver and probably IDL compiler and support libraries, before we
import the Hurd and glibc sources into the project. This way, we
would avoid many mistakes and kludges that stems from trying to
bend the current Hurd sources to the new environment. Let's do this
incrementally and carefully.

In the meantime, I'd suggest to simply post every bit of code on
l4-hurd, either inline or by referring to personal (semi-permanent)
URLs.

Has someone here already submitted a new l4-hurd project creation
request to sourceforge?

Regards,

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | address@hidden