Re: vk_l4 -- CVS Setup

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: vk_l4 -- CVS Setup
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 04:47:18 +0100 (CET)

> Version 2 of the L4 spec. has Unique IDs containing a "site" field, so
> kernel-assisted
> remote IPC was considered at a time, I presume.  A "site-fault" for non-local
> IPC would be
> one method to handle it, or a generalized form of IPC redirection.
Yes, this is what I've meant with "redirecting non-local IPC to a proxy";
something that the kernel could do. However, it seems like this would
bloat L4 unnecessarily, as time would be wasted in the kernel to
discriminate between local and remove IPC.

How is the issue of network transparent IPC seen by the L4 community?

>   Ad

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | address@hidden