Re: emulating no-senders notifications in L4?

From: Ondrej Hurt
Subject: Re: emulating no-senders notifications in L4?
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 10:59:58 +0100 (CET)

> I think it'd be interesting to see if they really are recursive, or
> just looping.  To do that you'd need to mprotect a page of memory,
> generate the fault on that, then after 30000 or so iterations
> un-mprotect it and let the signal handler return.  See if they all
> print out "end of handler".

> Adam Olsen, aka Rhamphoryncus

I can't imagine how it could be looping. IMO classic (e.g. in Linux)
exception handling is a sudden function call jumping to kernel (or
just libc?) which then calls your handler so it is some sort of
indirect recursion. I tried the test you proposed and all SIGSEGV
handler calls returned (30000x "end of handler").

Poctenicko pro kazdy den: http://www.novinky.cz