Re: Booting Hurd-L4 under qemu

From: Sam Mason
Subject: Re: Booting Hurd-L4 under qemu
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 01:26:41 +0000

Rian Hunter wrote:
>Hmm, well first the stack pointer is (SP) is 0x0, and that isn't
>exactly right.

Now you point it out (for some reason didn't notice it before - maybe
because it's zero) it doesn't look very happy does it.

>Also that error comes only if the PageSizeMask
>field of the KIP is empty and it really really shouldn't be. How
>are you booting?

How should I be booting?  It's coming off a disk image with an ext2
partition in it with grub installed.  Grub's configuration is a
copy/paste out of the README - I don't know what I'm doing enough yet
to change anything!

>Try a standard L4 boot just to see if your
>kernel and userland apps were compiled correctly, in grub:

Both grabmem and pingpong appear to work as I'd expect under bochs.
I.e. grabmem says got some memory and pingpong lets me do some IPC
benchmarking.  But when running under qemu they both fail with the
same "s0: no page-size mask".

>What I would do is set the debug flag in the sigma0 source: (Line
>49 in sigma0.cc, set verbose to > 0), make a clean build, then
>seeing what sigma0 says about its KIP when it is booting before
>it gets to init_mempool(). If that gives you no luck, also check
>the code the is filing the KIP in the kernel. If all else fails,
>get version 0.4 of Pistachio, do a clean build for the Pentium
>(not 2/3/4) processor and try that. Good luck!

I think I'll try that tomorrow, it's getting a bit late in the UK now.

Thanks,
  Sam