Re: The Perils of Pluggability

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: The Perils of Pluggability
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:06:39 +0200 (CEST)

   > 2. extensibility and flexibility have always been an important
   >    goal for GNU Project's programs, as a way to give users more
   >    freedom; as a user, I appreciate it.

   More freedom must be balanced against more vulnerability.

Not at all.  There is no such thing as the freedom to force you into
doing something.  So there is nothing to balance.

   > Extensibility is not a synonym of vulnerability.

   Of COURSE it is!

Actually, it isn't.  Me extentions to vulnerable program A do not
affect you.

   Running code without control where you don't know what the code
   does isn't vulnerable?

What code I run is up to me, and it doesn't affect anyone else other
than me.  This is what freedom means, me being able to do whatever I
aslong as what I do doesn't infringe on other peoples freedom.