Re: Fwd: Re: The Perils of Pluggability

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: The Perils of Pluggability
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:32:40 -0400

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 21:24 +0200, ness wrote:
> > Hello,

> You mix up two things here (or me). Identify (or
> cmp/map_lookup/whatever) says whether the cap a client passed to a
> server was mapped by the server (in kernel-based caps). See
> http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/pipermail/l4-hackers/2005/002140.html.

Ah. We are talking about two different identify operations. In EROS, the
identify operation tells you whether the service *named* by a capability
is the service you think it is.

In particular, if I hold a capability to the constructor for service X,
and you pass me a capability to service X, I can ask the constructor if
the capability names a process that it created.

I can see that we will need to be explicit about which identify
operation we mean in the future. Thanks for making this clear.