Re: Connectivity

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Connectivity
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:17:10 -0400

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 16:18 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > You absolutely do *not* need a shared name server for this. The only
> > thing a shared name server can accomplish here is to let messages be
> > sent between parties who are not authorized.
>
> How do you get two processes to know each other without some sort of a
> "name server" -- apart from via the process' initial capability set?
>
> Thanks,
> Ludovic.

By "introduction". This can occur directly (I one a capability to the
other) or indirectly (I hand each one the same mutable namespace).

The thing you need to remember is that inserting and removing from the
name space is fundamentally wasted work. The goal was to transfer a
capability from one process to the other. Why not simply do that
directly?