Re: Just a few questions

From: BVK Chaitanya
Subject: Re: Just a few questions
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 15:33:29 +0530

Hi justin,

Let me try to answer. Beware, i am a newbie. I am answering this sothat someone will point errors in *my* understanding.

1) How can the a process/kernel know that a capability really is who/what it
says it is?
KERNEL: Kernel (should?) never know what really a capability can do. It only knows about (1) which process has access to this capability? (2) what kind of permissions a process has on this capability?

PROCESS: To know whether a capability is really what is says it is, a process should perform 'Capability Authentication'. A process must consult some *trusted* server processes to authenticate a capability.

2) How many capabilities can a capability have?
??? Do you mean - how many capabilities can a *process* have? A process can have any number of capabilities it gets/creats, untill it runs out of its capability-space.

??? Do you mean - how many *methods* can a capability have? It depends on the interface that capability implements.

I dont understand your question properly.

E.G. A mouse pointer capability loaded from a somewhere or other that also (malevolently) has the capability programed in to write to the hard drive?? Whats to stop that happening?
If a process gets mouse pointer capability (say MPC), it shouldnt trust MPC unless it passes 'capability authentication' phase. Capability authentication guarantees that MPC you have is *really* *only* an MPC.

Is the user requested to give permission every time a particular I/O operation
takes place? What if you have connected a
file system ( maybe a floppy, CD ROM) and wish to copy some directories, will
it ask for permission on every object?
I dont understand this :(

3) Will L4 on Hurd be using a constructor capability?
It seems, this design/decision is not yet taken. I doubt, if Hurd goes for EROS like constructors, Hurd/Mach servers need considerable changes. Simply put - I dont know cleary.

4) Does L4 have the answers to some of the questions raised by a project like
Eros?
L4.sec might have.

Correct me!
-BVK Chaitanya.