Re: On hierarchy

From: ness
Subject: Re: On hierarchy
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:13:27 +0200

Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 22:19 +0200, ness wrote:

Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:

What *I* am saying is: the kernel must not include *any* operation that
would *ever*, under *any* circumstances, exceed log(n) time (n = number
of in-memory objects).

OK, this is your opinion. But you say this is only necessary for real-time capabilities. In my eyes, the system should decide whether it wants those rt-caps or not.

A *very* minor clarification:

We need to be careful about the word "capabilities". In the discussion
above, Ness appears (to me) to be confused, but I cannot be sure. I
believe that he us using the phrase "real time capabilities" here to
mean "the ability to support real-time guarantees", but he later goes on
to write "rt-caps", which makes matters confusing.

I suggest that we reserve the word "capability" in our discussions to
refer to the thing that is invoked, and use other terms elsewhere to
avoid confusion.

shap

I both times meant the ability to support real time apps. But yes, let's reserver the term.
--
-ness-