Re: Let's do some coding :-)

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Let's do some coding :-)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:32:14 +0200

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 08:29:39PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> If you mean the suggestion: defining the goals to cut away design
> options, and then define interfaces, then I totally agree.
>
> I am really very concerned with this question at this very moment, and
> trying to find a good answer.  I don't want to give this a rushed
> response.  I am also looking for input from anybody whom it may
> concern.

A number of things have been discussed, I'll make a (possibly incomplete) list
and say what my opinion is about it:

- security

        We want a secure system, which can run hostile code without any
        negative effects on it.

- capabilities

        We want them, and we want to use them for everything.  Also, we need
        them for security.

- persistence

        We haven't decided so far.  A persistent system has many advantages.
        It is something which can also be done partly, for example by giving
        the user a persistent session, while having a non-persistent core.  At
        this moment I think we will want a fully persistent system, but I'm
        not sure at all about this.

- real time

        So far, the Hurd isn't planned to be a real time operating system.
        That is, it doesn't support real time applications.  If we can be real
        time, it would be nice, but it isn't a priority.  Of course we do want
        time-critical applications such as audio and video players and
        cd-burners to run fluently when the system isn't under heavy load.
        (in other words: we don't want to do worse than GNU/Linux.)

That't it so far.  If I said we agree on something, and you don't, then
obviously we don't agree on it. :-)  In that case, let us know.

Marcus: is this the type of input you wanted?

Thanks,
Bas