Re: A comment about changing kernels

From: ness
Subject: Re: A comment about changing kernels
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:36:32 +0200

Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
As I have already written, I think that the Hurd project is coming to a
difficult architectural choice about the future of the Hurd. The outcome
of this community decision will be the single largest factor in
determining what new kernel to use.

If the goal of Hurd is primarily to build an extended and improved POSIX
system, then the existing L4 or L4.x2 kernel is sufficient for this. The
main advantage of this choice is that all of the necessary pieces are
available right now.

If the goal of Hurd includes providing a more secure and robust
foundation, then I think that either L4.sec or Coyotos will be the right
kernel choice. Obviously I have a preference, but the Hurd decision
needs to be driven by the Hurd requirements and not by my preferences.

That is right, of course. But maybye it would be nice fo you to explain why you think coyotos is better than l4.sec.

The one thing I *will* say about this decision is that it is a "one way"
decision. Once a significant body of code is committed to an older,
insecure microkernel API, it will become progressively more difficult to
change that decision later.

Since either the old or the new Hurd could be implemented on the more
secure foundation, this *may* be a reason to use one of the newer
kernels in either case, *provided* they become available to be used soon
enough.

shap

Marcus already mentioned that l4.sec is no alternative, as the time of release is too far away. But actually we (or at least I) don't know much about coyotos. I can't even say whether it is persistent. And your documentation page isn't that helpful, as the kernel spec is mostly incomplete. (btw, I tried to subscribe to the coyotos lists but I got no mails - has there been traffic this afternoon?)
--
-ness-