Re: L4-HURD , POSIX, UNIX

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: L4-HURD , POSIX, UNIX
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:15:38 +0100

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 03:29:16PM -0300, Fortes Marcelo wrote:
> Well some of participant are fighting about the design etc and be or not
> POSIX compliant. Etc.

I think we all agree that POSIX applications _must_ run on the Hurd.  There is
some discussion about it if it should be the native interface, or it can be
something on top of it.  Personally, I think they can be implemented in a
shared library, to which native Hurd applications don't link.  "Transitional"
applications may link to it to use some parts, and use parts from the native
system as well.  The library might become less important when more programs
refrain from using it.

> That is the obvious basis! an enviroinment that GCC can compile with a
> minimum of changes Unix/GNU programs(bash, emacs, X-Windows, pico, VI ).
> Off course extensions are necessary and obviously the system should provide
> new features and enhancements that are not found in other Unix Flavours but
> it is a secoundary step that a system with multi-servers running in a top of
> a microkernel can do easely and a monolithic not. So i reinforce the idea
> that you are working in a GNU Kernel. A Unix-Like Kernel that can run Unix
> like softwares and have a Unix confortable enviroinment that is the basis!

The improvements we are hoping to make are not possible if POSIX is the base
of the system.  However, a POSIX library should be no problem at all on the
system we currently have in mind.  Therefore it seems like a good idea to me
to make POSIX _not_ the *base* of the system, but more an extension.

> So Friends maybe my email can help to clarify a bit and you can trust my
> intention is to be constructive, in a reflection basis.

I appreciate your opinion, and hope that you agree with me that POSIX doesn't
need to be the _basis_ of the system, but it must be supported.

Thanks,
Bas