Re: Persistence

From: R. Koot
Subject: Re: Persistence
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 08:04:08 +0100

William Grim wrote:
If the OS did something similar (maybe not logs but something else... I need to read the papers), then you could get something similar to database recovery in the OS. Technically, I don't think this would be difficult to do. I haven't thought about all the details, but in my mind you would just have to have some way to store all the process (task) contexts (servers+data/registers) as they run and keep checkpointing them. Jon Shapiro or anyone else that has read the KeyKOS/EROS papers on single-level-stores can probably answer this question better.

EROS makes a snapshot every 10 minutes, so if the system crashed 9 minutes after the last snapshot you would, after a reboot, have the system in the state it was 9 minutes before the crash. The only way I can see to avoid these 'time jumps' would be making a snapshot on every IPC calls, but I don't think that will be feasable performance wise.

Ruud