Re: Is the list still working?

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Is the list still working?
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 14:02:17 +0100

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 07:17:05PM -0500, Barry deFreese wrote:
> The list is still working, are you? ;-)

I am indeed. :-)  In some of my limited free time I'm currently trying to
write a library for persistent applications, so I get a better feeling for
what persistence is.  The idea is to create applications which checkpoint
themselves every now and then, can be aborted at any time (or made to
checkpoint-and-abort as an atomic operation), and when restarted continue from
their last checkpoint.  I'm trying to design the database in a way that it is
possible to "restart" the program with a new version of it, possibly keeping
open the file descriptors so it doesn't even suffer from closed connections.

At first I thought I needed transactions to be able to do all this sensibly,
but now I'm not sure so I'll think a bit more about that.  If I don't need
them, I may still want them, I have to think about that as well. :-)

Some questions for you people:
Marcus: I remember that you were planning to give an overview of what would be
your choice of direction for the Hurd-on-some-new-kernel project.  When do you
expect that to happen?
Jonathan: I think you wanted a coyotos prototype ready by the end of last year
(but you spend too much time on this list to make that).  When do you expect
to have something that can be used for testing?
Does anyone have any idea when the two new L4 kernels (L4ng and L4.sec) will
have a (prototype) release?
Do we all agree that the design principles Marcus came up with are good?  Do
we need any others?

I hope this is enough to get some discussion going again, and perhaps even
some progress. :-)

Thanks,
Bas