Re: Challenge: Find potential use cases for non-trivial confinement

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Challenge: Find potential use cases for non-trivial confinement
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 13:19:59 +0200

At Wed, 3 May 2006 12:42:14 +0200,
Pierre THIERRY <address@hidden> wrote:
> So let's modify my use case your distinction: the game could be
> configured to enable cheating. For this, it would drop the capability to
> the hall of fame, because the hall of fame is only useful when you
> participate in competition.

You probably misunderstood me.  I think that a shared high score file
is useful even if cheating is allowed.

Think about the shared high score file as a billboard, where people
can talk about their experiences with the game.

In fact, I think it would be nice if the high score entries would also
provide a log of the game (so one can watch how the others played, or
cheated), and if it would be associated with a forum.  Also, it would
be nice to allow others to watch while one is playing (I have this
particular idea from nethack.alt.org --- try to telnet into it).

We can talk about competition, however, I would rather avoid it
because my views on that are pretty strong and not very relevant to
the discussion.  I think for now it suffices to observe that any type
of competition can not possibly be confined.