Re: Retracting the term ownership

From: Christian Stüble
Subject: Re: Retracting the term ownership
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 17:07:27 +0200

Am Freitag, 1. September 2006 19:16 schrieb Marcus Brinkmann:
> > I must admit I'm a bit confused here: what argument shows that the
> > technology fundamentally doesn't work in the long run? And what do you
> > mean exactly by this?
>
> "Trusted computing" is the attempt to put information into a box,
> providing only restricted views on the data inside it.  It is the
> attempt to turn information into something material, that only exists
> once, and that can be alienated by giving it from one person to
> another.
I disagree. "Trusted Computing" is the attempt to (i) verify the configuration
running on a remote computer (e.g., to be able to derive its trustworthiness)
and (ii) to ensure that data can only be accessed under certain
configurations.

I don't say that it is not possible to implement based on TC what you are
saying, but TC is much more. You focus on one derived use case that was and
is, imo, not even the main motivation behind TC.

One TC implementation, a TPM, does not allow users to access the bits of the
keys stored insode. But this is only am implementation detail, similar to
smartcards. BTW, I never heard all this critics regarding smartcards..

Chris