Re: Translucent storage: design, pros, and cons

From: Neal H. Walfield
Subject: Re: Translucent storage: design, pros, and cons
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:14:49 +0100

At Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:09:27 -0500,
Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> I do wish that you would stop moving the target. You raise an objection.
> I respond. You raise a new, underspecified objection. I spend a large
> effort getting it clarified. Because of the time this requires from me,
> this pattern has become fairly unreasonable. We have reached the point
> where you should be able to say "yes, Coyotos can plausibly serve as a
> starting point if it is available to us in time", or "no, it cannot".

I think this is unfair.  Marcus has been relatively consistent in his
objection.  It is true that, as you have together examined the problem
space, wrong paths have been taken and incorrect conclusions drawn.
There have even been a few misunderstandings.  I think some of these
could appear as if Marcus was changing his objective.  However, I
think that this is just expected development in such a discussion.

You are right that this discussion has been a long one.  I think the
difficulty is that the issue it is not technical but rather
socio-political and as such, it cannot be solved by technical means:
technical means can only be evaluated according to their consistency
with the proposed values.

It appears to me, and I think this is Marcus's objection, that you are
asking if your technical proposal solves Marcus's problem.
Unfortunately, for the above reason, it can't; it can be evaluated as
whether it is consistent with the values.

I don't know if this helps.

Neal