Re: Translucency counterexample -- term error

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Translucency counterexample -- term error
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:41:59 -0500

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 22:41 -0500, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> A non-forgeable isInstanceOf() ...

The name isInstanceOf() was very bad, and I need to update the document
to remove it.

The operation I want is hasInstance(). The difference is:

  isInstanceOf() is a method on an object taking the type or class as
    the argument. The argument is compared for EQ, but is not invoked.

  hasInstance() is a method on the *class* taking an instance capability
    as the argument. It tests an instance. The instance is inspected
    using the sealer/unseal pattern. The argument capability is not
    invoked.

The reason this matters has to do with the direction of trust. I cannot
trust an unknown instance to tell the truth about its type. I *can*
trust a known-good type to tell the truth about who its instances are.

Sorry for the confusion this may cause. Wherever I wrote isInstanceOf()
in my previous mail, please substitute hasInstance().