Re: Design principles

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Design principles
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:16:29 -0500

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 19:53 +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> At Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:27:39 -0500,
> "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > An interesting assertion. What are Wikipedia's security mechanisms?
>
> Mmh.  It's actually more interesting that you have to ask....

I didn't, but it was educationally useful to let step into the trap by
yourself. Your list is almost exactly what I expected.

In short, Wikipedia doesn't *have* any security policies. What Wikipedia
has is robust means of recovery. Wikipedia has absolutely no means for
preclusion of hostile acts. It only has means for recovery and
retaliation.

This is an interesting approach, and one that is effective for
Wikipedia. It is not a security policy.

Jonathan S. Shapiro, Ph.D.
Managing Director
The EROS Group, LLC