Re: [ANNOUNCE] Introducing Codezero

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Introducing Codezero
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 03:14:27 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 10:10:25AM +0300, Bahadir Balban wrote:
> Bas Wijnen wrote:

> Implementing fine-grained access control mechanism inside the
> microkernel should take no more than a week or two. I would imagine
> all I would need to do for the first version is to add a per-thread
> bitmap structure that controls resources such as the amount of
> virtual/physical memory, cpu time, with whom the communication is
> allowed, which requests, what type of ipc ... etc.

Isn't most of that actually possible with standard L4?...

However, this is *not* sufficient. Sure, it is fine for embedded
systems, which live in a very statical environment. It has been done
before -- a number of multiserver systems exist that are quite
successful in the embedded market.

However, for a general-purpose operating system, we need much more
dynamic permission and resource management. This is where the real
problems lie -- the major challange we face with the Hurd; and in fact
the major challenge in any attempt to create a general-purpose
multiserver operating system.

-antrik-