Re: Hurd translators on FUSE

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: Hurd translators on FUSE
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 22:49:27 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 08:52:11PM +0200, Sergiu Ivanov wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 02:23:00AM +0100, address@hidden
> wrote:

> > feature on its own. Rather, I just explained them as an element of
> > the extensible VFS concept -- which is part of the Hurd's
> > fundamental idea of a user-extensible system environment. (And the
> > one I covered in most detail of course, as it's the most evident
> > part, with the most examples available.)
>
> Hm, this is a good idea.  I guess I'll borrow this idea from you when
> I'll be delivering some Hurd-related presentation at my University (if
> you don't mind, of course).

Well, ideas are not copyrightable -- so unless you actually copy parts
of the talk (which is rather unlikely, considering that I never
published the files, nor was the talk recorded), I wouldn't have any say
in this anyways :-)

> Though. unfourtunately, I haven't yet run into an audience who know
> for sure what a kernel is, to tell nothing about FUSE or translators
> :-)

The thechnical details would be irrelevant of course to such an
audience. You could try selling it with other arguments though (which I
also mentioned in my talk): including the need for a pure GNU kernel;
the benefits of a GPLv3 option; and the fundamental idea of making user
freedom more practical at system functionality level.

However, I'm not sure it even makes sense to try selling to such an
audience in the present situation :-)

-antrik-