Re: GNU Hurd on $scheme

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GNU Hurd on $scheme
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 13:32:58 +0100

Hey!

Daniel Hartwig <address@hidden> skribis:

> On 2 February 2013 18:19, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:

[...]

>> I think there are really two approaches: one is to augment the Hurd with
>> Guile APIs and servers, and another one is to write a Scheme OS (like
>> Göran’s http://weinholt.se/nygos/).  You’re taking the first one, right?
>
> Primarily the second, I think.  Guile APIs for the Hurd will be
> constructed, but I plan to implement from the security kernel down in
> Scheme, the target environment having most of core servers and kernel
> running in a single VM process.

Hmm, the concept of servers really makes sense when you have unsafe
native code with separate address spaces.  Otherwise Scheme procedure
calls and threads (when needed) are basically equivalent, as Rees’ paper
suggests.  Or did I misunderstood the idea?

>> For the Hurd, I’d start by writing some sort of a MiG in Scheme macros.
>>

> This should permit porting the servers without having a Scheme kernel, right?

This would allow Scheme code to make RPCs to Hurd servers, and Hurd
servers to be implemented in Scheme.

Ludo’.