Re: [libmicrohttpd] libmicrohttpd - Digest authentication

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] libmicrohttpd - Digest authentication
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:41:12 -0700

On Monday 12 January 2009 02:56:16 am you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First of all I want to thank you for libmicrohttp. I am currently looking
> for a suitable webserver for a small embedded project. I think
> libmicrohttpd could be possible candicate.
>
> One of the things I need is digest authentication. I have the following
> questions:
>
> 1. From the libmicrohttpd source files I have seen that basic
> authentication is supported but that digest authentication is not. Is this
> correct?

No, you should be able to do digest authentication, we just don't have a
simple example in the docs (since you need to do digest calculations and we
don't have those as part of MHD).

> 2. Is digest authentication planned for the near future?

Nothing would need to be changed in MHD itself, only the actual authentication
code needs to be provided (as part of the main code of the application).  I
think having an example in the docs would be nice, but I don't plan on
personally doing that right now.  Maybe someone else will.

> 3. If digest authentication is not planned then I like to know if it could
> be easily implemented in the existing code by myself? I am not a HTTP
> expert and maybe you can give me an indication what is means to support
> this.

Look at the example for basic authentication (in the MHD tutorial) and read up
on Digest authentication, say at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digest_access_authentication

The main change to the Basic auth should be the addition of the code for the
MD5 hash function.

Christian