Re: [libmicrohttpd] libmicrohttpd, serialized access

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] libmicrohttpd, serialized access
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 11:44:40 +0200

Hi!

If you're on Linux, this is almost the case, as with a single thread
you obviously cannot have lock contention, and you're using a Futex
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futex) -- so the cost is very close to
that of a NOP (no system call).  In fact, I would be surprised if
replacing the logic with the equivalent of "if (! (daemon->options &
MHD_USE_SELECT_INTERNALLY)) lock()" would give you any speed-up (it'd
still technically be a branch and not a real NOP).

Anyway, if you have a different reason for asking (other than
performance concerns) or have real data showing that there is a
difference, please explain more and I'll be happy to listen.

Happy hacking!

Christian