Re: [libmicrohttpd] EAGAIN while sending the response

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] EAGAIN while sending the response
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 14:42:24 +0100

Hi Santos,

I'm not sure what you mean by MHD returning "EAGAIN" (that's usually
what the operating system returns to the application, MHD doesn't itself
return that style of error codes to applications).  That said, when MHD
gets an EAGAIN from the OS, it should retry (unless the application for
some reason tells it not to, i.e. from timeout or because the
application returns "MHD_NO" in the main callback).

As to why EAGAIN happens, there can be a number of causes, from MHD
being 'optimistic' (using non-blocking sockets) and reading/writing in
the absence of a prior select/poll/epoll notification, to this actually
being the required normal behavior for using epoll() with edge triggers.

Regardless, getting EAGAIN itself is *not* an error, just a particular
result from a system call.  Only if MHD then fails to retry at a later
time there might be a bug (in MHD or the application using it).

I hope this helps!

Happy hacking!

Christian