Re: [libmicrohttpd] From LGPL 3.0 to LGPL 2.1?

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] From LGPL 3.0 to LGPL 2.1?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 23:28:02 +0200

On 5/15/19 1:37 AM, silvioprog wrote:
> Hello friends.
>
> After updating my git, I found the following commit log:
>
> /"Updated README and COPYING/
> /Note: library code is licensed under LGPLv2.1+ or eCOS terms//
> /Come testsuite programs are licensed under GPLv3 terms."/
>
> Could you explain the main reasons? (Any advantages/disadvantages?)
>
> I would like to understand it because I'm going to upgrade MHD in my
> project.

To clarify, this is not really a change in license, AFAIK it was just
clarified in the README. MHD has always been under LGPLv2.1+, and due to
certain requests we dual-licensed under GPL+eCOS exception some years
ago for the subset the code that doesn't touch GnuTLS.

So an upgrade should not change anything for your project.