libreboot

Re: [Libreboot] Full disk encryption on Lenovo X200

From: Duncan Guthrie
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Full disk encryption on Lenovo X200
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 11:39:26 +0100

Hi T,
You can avoid the need for /boot entirely by adding "GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTDISK=y"
to grub.cfg as discussed here:
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/netinsall-tty-apt-get-update-not-working?page=1#comment-99091
Read it carefully and see what you think. On that forum they discuss how to
delete /boot, because GRUB can probe disks and unlock them, although you need
to put in LUKS password twice. It does work, I can conform, on a computer
without Libreboot installed. It may be of use to you, as instructions are
provided which show how to install using the text installer (Debian was used
but Trisquel has the same process as they have the same text installer). Then
there's no need for putting /boot on external USB drive. Note, you may need to
unlock the drive on a live CD in order to add the option to GRUB config file if
the installer doesn't do it automatically.
If you really need /boot on an external drive one suspects you just change the
UUID in /etc/fstab to that of some partition on the USB drive. Then copy all
the files there, and delete the partition that /boot is mounted at, usually
/dev/sda1 if you install on /dev/sda.

Hope that helps,
D.