libredwg

[libredwg] [OFFTOPIC] Brazillian Hacker Jargon / Slang

From: Felipe Sanches
Subject: [libredwg] [OFFTOPIC] Brazillian Hacker Jargon / Slang
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:25:39 -0300

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> wrote:
> () Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva <address@hidden>
> () Mon, 15 Mar 2010 21:22:40 -0300
>
>   Yep, it was weird to write to him in English.
>
> Can you suggest where an english-speaking person can
> learn some brazillian hacker jargon?
>
> thi

heh! funny topic :-)

Most of the hacker/tech jargon used by brazilians are english words
mixed into brazilian portuguese conversations.
But we indeed have some hacker slangs, but I doubt these are
widespread and common among all brazilian hackers. I believe that
these are mostly specific to some groups of hackers.

Examples:
Brazilian users of the MSX micro-computer
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSX] from the 80's still gather yearly
for an MSX convention where they release new software and hardware for
these old machines. These specific hackers call themselves "fudebas".
Everybody who hacks on MSX computers is called a "fudeba" (I've been
one for some time in the past). I believe that this practice is
restricted to brazilian MSX hackers... I am not sure.

A more broadly used slang among brazilian hackers is the verb "codar",
which is an adaptation of the english verb "to code", to denote a
programming activity. "Vamos codar?" ("Let's code?")

I am sure that there's a lot more, but these two slangs are the first
ones that came to me when you raised the question about hacker speak
in Brazil.

Felipe "Juca" Sanches