libredwg

Re: [libredwg] avoiding pkg-config

From: gagan
Subject: Re: [libredwg] avoiding pkg-config
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 00:29:16 +0530

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 11:28 PM, Piyush Parkash
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 7:52 PM, Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Good news: Hydra now is able to build the tarball, and to
>> successfully "make" for various platforms:
>
> Great!
>

>>  http://hydra.nixos.org/jobset/gnu/libredwg-master
>>
>> The failures now come from "make check", which invokes
>> pkg-config(1) to compute the flags to build program
>> testsuite/xmlsuite/testsuite (from the corresponding .c) file.
>>

> There is always something -_-. Looks like there going to be more.
> `make check` is now under control of DejaGNU. It will never pass until
> all the tests pass.
>
>> There are two reasonable solutions, i think: (a) make Hydra
>> aware of pkg-config; (b) avoid pkg-config altogether.  IMHO (b)
>> is cleaner, since we can get the same information from program
>> xml2-config(1), which is normally part of package libxml2-dev
>> (on Debian, that is, YMMV), along w/ the library's headers.
>> In sum, pkg-config is overkill; we don't need it.
>
> <snip>
>
>> a patch to make the configure script require xml2-config(1)
>> and the testsuite/xmlsuite/ makefiles use it.  I took the
>> opportunity to use the "correct" Makefile.am var (AM_CPPFLAGS),
>> as well.
>>

> This looks good. But we will be always dependent on xml-config or
> pkg-config. There should be a way to kill these?!

I think pkg-config is the right tool. Its good to be dependent on
these tools so as to locate the libraries.

For example, in some systems the glfw.h file ( OpenGL related file )
is in /usr/include/GL/glfw.h and some have it in /usr/include/GLFW.h.
Mac has it in /usr/x11/include/GL/glfw.h I guess. So pkg-config takes
care of finding the files and libraries hence avoiding manual efforts.

--
Thanks
Gaganjyot