librefm-developers

[Librefm-developers] Roadmap, copyright assignments and moving ahead...

From: Matt Lee
Subject: [Librefm-developers] Roadmap, copyright assignments and moving ahead...
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 19:18:42 -0400

Developers!

Firstly, thanks to everyone who got their copyright assignment in.

If you haven't done this yet -- please get in touch with me, and we'll
sort it out.

We need to plan for some upcoming features, do some proper releases and
generally get our things in order.

The next major feature we need is the Artist management stuff. Here's
what this needs to do:

        * Provide a simple wizard style interface to guide an artist
          through getting their music onto Libre.fm -- we'll have some
          stuff on the licenses and need to be able to upload music to
          the Internet Archive for hosting.

        * We'll need some identity checking, for proving artists are
          who they say they are -- not sure how do this yet.

        * Once an artist is signed up, they will be able to manage
          their artist page, this should appear at either
          http://artistname.libre.fm or their own domain, if they
          point their DNS at us. This will be different from
          /artist/foo

        * The artist page will consist of only the information THEY
          want to display -- maybe their current release, an interface
          to add gigs, as well as a newsletter system for tracking
          their fans, and sending them messages within the site. Users
          will need to opt-in as a fan of an artist for this to work.

        * They can also upload artwork, etc.

        * All libre artists will have access to a special artists-only
          area, where they can discuss amongst themselves, provide
          direct feedback to us, and arrange shared tours, shared
          recording, etc.

The homepage on dev is undergoing some changes -- if you have designer
friends, get them to contribute! If you have designer skills, help out!

Aside from the band manager tool, we should focus our efforts on fixing
bugs. Oh, and please please make sure your error messages are logged in
the correct way and DO NOT USE PRINT_R as it dumps the users password to
the screen. Big no no.

Anyway, I hope this lays out some things for us to work on.

matt