Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Project

From: cool-RR
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Project
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 02:13:47 +0200

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:00 AM, <andrew@lewman.com> wrote:
On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 01:48:57PM +0200, cool-rr@cool-rr.com wrote 11K bytes in 219 lines about:
: Librelist is a free as in freedom mailing list site for open source
: projects. It is a place for FOSS communities to discuss all the things they
: want without ads, censorship, signup requirements, bundled apps, or
: requirements that you use any particular email client or service.

Why not just run your own mailing list rather than use some 3rd party
software as a service?  I suspect this is a non-free SaaS
implementation.

I am not sure what you mean by saying "I suspect this is a non-free SaaS implementation". Are you suspecting that Librelist is not open-source?

I can easily run mailing lists using free software, why
do I want someone else to do it for me?

You, Andrew, can easily run mailing lists using free software. I congratulate you on your system administering skills, which are much higher than mine. But, there are many people who do not have system administering skills as good as yours, and are still interesting in contributing to FOSS project. For these people, a service like Librelist is very useful.

If you are unhappy with the "1995 design" of mailman, as you call it,
submit a patch to the html interface to make it "modern".

--
Andrew

Fortunately for myself, Zed Shaw has already done something like that, though he did it in a project separate from mailman. He called it Librelist, and I think it's an important project, and I hope that the FSF will support it.

Ram.