Re: [libreplanet-discuss] new regional group

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] new regional group
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 15:36:50 -0500

"wayne, steve" <steven.w.warren@gmail.com> writes:

> hello all,
>
> i am interested in getting a free software advocacy group going in southern
> illinois. our focus would be twofold: first, we would provide teach-ins
> about various free software issues (SOPA, secure/restricted boot, how to
> install free operating systems and use a package manager) at our local
> independent media center which is currently hosting and managed primarily
> by folks involved with our local Occupy movement (known as Occupy
> Carbondale); second, we would provide a point-of-interaction between
> students at our local univeristy (southern illinois university carbondale)
> and software hobbyists/professionals in the community by offering code-in
> events and promoting involvement with larger groups like freeculture.org.
>
> i am contacting this list to seek information and guidance in developing
> this group from folks with experience. specifically, does the above
> description sound like it would be a good candidate for a LibrePlanet team?
> if not, is anyone aware of an existing organizational model that i might
> use or are there any helpful words of advice?

Yes, I think it sounds great and like a good fit.

Danny already sent the link on the wiki, but the Massachusetts and
Italia LibrePlanet groups are good existing models if you are looking
for examples.

I've been to SIU a few times before, it'd be great to see a group there
:).

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://identi.ca/johnsu01 | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.