Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Skype Replacement?

From: Ramana Kumar
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Skype Replacement?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 11:57:23 +0100

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Robert Martinez <mail@mray.de> wrote:
My hint would be to try mumble. http://mumble.sourceforge.net/
It is basically a teamchat application for gamers I believe, and it totally depends on having a server, but usually you find some free slots very easily. best of all is that depending on your connection speed you may get really awesome sound quality.

This is not the solution you(or free software in general) want, but it could solve your problem right not.

But I would test it before so you know it will work THIS TIME ;)

Thanks Robert (and also cryptie) for suggesting Mumble - I had never heard of it.
I will try it out when I get a chance (especially if Yate doesn't work).

FSF: consider listing Mumble on the free skype replacement high priority project page section so people might later have a chance at finding it!

(I did try testing things against my university laptop (which runs Windows XP) but that's not always as reliable as testing against someone in another country - I've been trying to get my brother to help me test from another country. E.g. I got Jitsi on laptop (Windows) to work with Ekiga on desktop (Parabola), but the same setup failed with my teacher (possibly due to different Windows versions).)