Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Libre Mobile

From: Steven Hamilton
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Libre Mobile
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 19:01:57 +1000

On 12/06/13 21:11, Joel Kahn wrote:
As I looked over the Replicant project, I noticed that
all of the candidate devices mentioned had some kind of
limitations due to the hardware involved. None of them
could become totally Libre.

www.openphoenux.org (formerly openmoko) is the closest
you're going to get. Any mobile device will have closed
hardware for the GSM radio. Even the openmoko devices.
AFAIK the openphoenux devices are free from point up.

On replicant though I believe some devices are similarly
free if you're willing to give up things like a working
camera, wifi etc. At that point you might as well just
go with a cheapo nokia java phone.

In summary. There are no open hardware GSM radio's on
the planet since the whole GSM platform is closed.