Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to non-freedom-friendly webmail s

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to non-freedom-friendly webmail services?
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 09:30:18 -0700 (PDT)

Fabian Rodriguez saod:
> He eventually gave up and used Gmail.

That's disappointing.

> Installing this stuff is one challenge, then maintaining it is another.
> The main obstacle would seem to be scalability vs. effort: will you
> maintain a setup such as the above for one account (or for just a few:
> family+friends)? Doing it for a number of accounts that justifies the
> effort goes against the trust-by-proximity / web-of-trust model.

I suppose it depends on how much one values their privacy, freedom,
and autonomy in order to decide if it's worth any "effort." I've run
my own mail server for since 1999. All of the stuff going on lately
has only helped to confirm that it's definitely been worth it.

On Trisquel, for example, apt-get install postfix. Now your box speaks
SMTP and can start communicating with other mail servers on the
internet. It really isn't hard. Perhaps that perception, more than
anything, is the challenge to overcome.