Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Software freedom is the only viable business m

From: Patrick Anderson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Software freedom is the only viable business model.
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 11:29:21 -0600

> give the binaries for free but
> charge $millions for the code

No, but the inverse might be more realistic than it might at first seem.

Give the code away for gratis, but charge for the binaries.

I've seen this approach more than once (though I don't remember those projects right now), usually applied to a subset, such as the Windows version.

You cannot disallow others from distributing the binaries, so if you overcharge, people will just setup an alternate distribution site, bit if the price is realistic, and if your site instills trust (a slippery and subjective goal), then some will purchase from you to avoid untrusted distributors and also possibly out of a desire to support your efforts.